Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Prometheus is coming...

One month after my book comes out in 2012, I will be going to the first available showing to see this movie.  For those of you unfamiliar with Ridley Scott's roots, the Academy Award winning director made a name for himself by teaming up with legendary artist H.R. Geiger to create the most original science-fiction alien probably ever to grace the screen.  And now, he's returning to those roots to give us a science fiction fable that speaks to the originality of the Weyland-Yutani universe that brought us such quotes as, "I think we should nuke the site from orbit; it's the only way to be sure."

Here is a synopsis.  The film is set in space for the most part, similar to that of "ALIEN"; the jumping off point to this project. The film's name "Prometheus" is that of the space vessel used by a crew of select individuals who set off to explore and investigate fragments of "Alien DNA" that provide tantalizing clues as to the origin of mankind on earth.
This is the Space Jockey creature from the original Alien ship
where the crew of the Nostromo reported seeing "thousands of eggs".

The film itself revolves around the Space Jockey creature; as seen in the original film ALIEN (1979). When a team of scientists embark on the aforementioned journey, they get stranded on an alien world which tests their limits; both mental and physical.  In Ridley Scott's own words, the human crew ends up in the darkest part of the universe in a chilling battle of life and death that some describe as absolutely "terrifying".

Prometheus involves a team of scientists known as "The Company".  Their representatives and robot/synthetics investigate and search for keys to unlock man's ultimate mystery. But in the process, they threaten the future existence of mankind and are faced with unimaginable horrors.

The Aliens themselves are said to be much larger than the original "Xenomorphs" we are used to. However, their overall construction will be easily noticable to that of the original Alien canon.
The genius, Ridley Scott.  I humbly bow before you sir. You are a true visionary.
Prometheus will be much more than just an Alien sci-fi horror. Ridley Scott is digging deeper for this project and Prometheus will unlock many questions and will touch on many aspects of life and existence. A true masterpiece.

Filming has already finished. I bet a trailer will be here soon. I did a YouTube search for one because the Wall Street Journal article I read hinted that there was one that got pulled by 20th Century Fox, but all I could find were fakes.

34 comments:

  1. Awesome! Looking forward to that!

    Did you know the artist who designed the Alien, H.R. Giger, is Swiss. He has a museum and cafe/bar in Gruyeres, Switzerland that's SUPER cool. I took my 60 year old mother-in-law there and she thought it was a hoot.

    http://www.hrgiger.com/barmuseum.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love intense scary films!I hate intense scary films! I was so tense watching Alien...I don't know if I have the heart or guts to expose my adrenal gland through even scarier creatures. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this one looks great. I love sci-fi--not really the scary ones though--and so I hope it's not too scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the heads-up on this film! I only recently saw the Alien movies and almost peed my pants in a few scenes (I'm the annoying girl who yells at the television while the DVD is playing- "Get outta there! Are you a moron or something! He's gonna freakin' kill you!"). But I really enjoyed it, and this one sounds even more intense. Plus, I love Charlize Theron :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alien REALLY scared me, but I know I'll have to see this movie. Ridley Scott is great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy, another prequel. Color me excited. But I assume they're going to ignore the lame "Alien vs. Predator" movies where there were already aliens on Earth in 2000s.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, wow. Thanks for the info on this! I bet it will be mega-awesome! BTW - I love your blog design!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so excited for this movie as well Michael! Big fan of the first two Alien movies and RC in general. I really never thought of Sci-Fi as something that could be scary or unnerving until I started watching RC movies. Just the optimist in me I suppose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there Michael,
    Thank you so much for forgiving me, and i'm so glad my twinkly stars stopped anybody from being mad at me lol :)
    I don't really watch scary movies I'm a bit of a wimp.x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I was not familiar with Prometheus, but it sounds like a winner.

    Thanks for the tip to look for in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh...this is going to be good. Thanks for filling us in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like Alien is going to show its roots like the rest of many Hollywood franchises. And yet, I'm surprised to have thoroughly enjoyed most of them. This looks to be just as awesome.

    And with Fassbender? Yeah! :)

    That is a sweet poster, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Being a peaceful type nowadays, I can't see myself getting into horror of any genre. However, I did "to-read" your book and wish you all the success in this realm and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Does Ridley Scott know he's going up against a sci-fi powerhouse in your book? He may want to reschedule.

    I saw Alien, and Aliens, and then gave up on the franchise. This might get me to go back, Rogue's skepticism notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks cool and it has Charlize Theron. I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the first I've seen of it. Thanks for sharing. It looks like it's gonna be good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will not get excited. I'm totally not freaking out about this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the Alien movies, and I like the idea it sounds like he is exploring humans getting into trouble because of our own arrogance in thinking we can learn something from these things that ought to be left alone. Sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved all of the first four Alien movies. Even three (must see the director's cut) and four (written by Joss Whedon after all). It's great to see Ridley Scott taking the Alien reigns again. After the last few Alien and Predator vs. Paul W. S. Anderson movies, my hopes are high for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was just looking up Alien earlier; I'm not much for Horror, but it sounds like an interesting movie.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like this kind of films. I would certainly watch this one! Thank you Michael! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree with you. Alien was and is one the best movies ever. Aliens was darn good also but after that *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree with you. Alien was and is one the best movies ever. Aliens was darn good also but after that *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  24. Too scary for me, but I'm sure it will be good. I admire Ridley Scott. His films are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't know if I'll go see it in the theater. I didn't care for any of the movies after Alien so I don't know if I'll risk the 10.50 but it does sound interesting so maybe it will be Note to self: borrow this from the library! Good review made me want to check it out in spite of not liking the sequels.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so excited, both for your book and this movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. hmm, I'm not really into space stories, but this looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Excellent. There hasn't been a good outer space movie in awhile ... that I can recall.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jebus I'm out of the loop; i didn't even know about this! And now i can't wait!

    ReplyDelete