Friday, July 1, 2016

The Stranger Things trailer for Netflix has a very familiar soul to it that I like

Stranger Things debuts on Netflix on July 15th, and it reminds me a lot of the things I miss most about science fiction that took place in an eighties setting. Of course, the king of that genre is Steven Spielberg, but J.J. Abrams also has a gift for it as can be seen in Super 8 (a movie I very much enjoyed). From the trailer, I'm not sure what it's about other than a missing boy, a girl that has some strange powers, and the hint that there's something going on that's maybe paranormal or extra-terrestrial. I'm pretty impressed with Netflix on some of their other series, so I think this one is going to be a winner. If you pause long enough to watch the trailer, let me know what you think in the comments.

9 comments:

  1. I liked the trailer. It really makes me wonder what happened to that boy. Missing children movies tend to make me want to skip to the end. I'm going to guess extra-terrestrial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to watch an episode and see if it's any good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of so many great movies: Super 8, Explorers, Goonies...I will love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that the one with Winona Ryder? She did an interview about it somewhere, probably Entertainment Weekly. I've heard good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look like it contains the magic I enjoyed so much is Sci-Fi from the 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The trailers looks genius as so few movies/shows today can create a fun yet relate-able kid thriller. Shows like the Goonies and ET are classic examples that somehow have been forgotten in today's cinema. I remember coming out of those movies and thinking the kids seemed like people my own age yet the adults were believable too. Super 8 is the only thing I've seen that has come close recently.

    I'm sure Netflix saw this as a no brainer as they know the key to their future success is children who won't let their parents cancel the service. I'm looking forward to this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I need to see this. Thanks for sharing and posting the trailer Mike. It was amazing and I'm still in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to tell my kids about this one, ( if they don't know already). Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete